Articles for Discussion

Building Trust Between Police and Communities of Color

Gaining trust of communityTrust Begins With Changing Attitudes

It is to our advantage to build trust and to change the adversarial attitudes between law enforcement and communities of color.  The first step in this process is starting a respectful dialogue between law enforcement and community leaders.  The objective of this dialogue is for both parties to develop a clear understanding of  police officers’

Donald Trump’s vision, actions, and his rhetoric are divisive politics. During the 2016 presidential campaign, he used language that White nationalist and White supremacist groups supported.  Some of his comments during the campaign denigrated several groups of nonwhites including African Americans, Latinos, and Muslims.  His rhetoric and vision have been met by the approval of numerous White nationalists and avowed racists.  His original administration consisted of white nationalist sympathizers and white supremacist apologists: Steve Bannon, Sebastian Gorka, Stephen Miller, and Jeff Sessions.

There are forces led by Donald Trump and Steve Bannon that threaten to divide and weaken this nation.  Xenophobia and demagoguery are constantly being promulgated in coded language to instigate animosity between different cultures of people.  The 35% who approve of these white supremacy sympathizers are empowered when members of the other 65%  validate their rhetoric.  When people put up barriers according to traditional categories: race, religion, nationality, gender, etc., it is bad for America.

Since Donald Trump began his Presidential campaign, his

Bipartisanship with Nancy Pelosi and Donald TrumpWhen President Trump, in a spirit of bipartisanship, reached out to Democrat leaders, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, it was a pleasant surprise.  This spirit of bipartisanship may have been prompted by the failure of moderate Republicans and Tea Party Republicans to agree on legislation, but Donald Trump has demonstrated leadership by trying to advance legislation.  Progressives and Conservatives both have the same goal, doing what is in

Slogans Used to Distract from Black Lives Matter

There are people who try and undermine the legitimacy of the Black Lives Matter (BLM)  movement.  In particular, the blue lives matter and all lives matter slogans are used to discourage support for BLM.  In the case of the blue lives matter stratagem, public sympathies are diverted to police officers.  This is paradoxical because repeated abuse of Black people, coupled with the frequent lack of accountability